Every coffee lover knows that there are tons of ways to consume coffee. Coffee connoisseurs come in hoards as well, always in search of the best way to brew the best cup of Joe. A lot of experts swear by the best French press, guaranteeing that the best tasting coffee should be made by this innocuous kitchen tool.
With the seemingly unending number of ways to make a cup of coffee, there has been a longstanding debate in what is the best device to use. The French press is a popular contender, as it prepares coffee in the purest of form. Of course, there’s also the fact that it is very easy to use, so a lot of coffee lovers tend to believe that true fans of the bean should own at least one good coffee press.
What is a French Press?
But what exactly is a French press? Also commonly referred to as the cafetière, press pot, coffee press, or coffee plunger, a French press is often described as a coffee brewing device. It’s actually cylindrical shaped pot, typically made in glass or stainless steel, with a lid attached to a plunger with fine wire or nylon mesh filter that fits tightly inside the cylinder. The plunger acts as the pressing material to separate the coffee grounds from the drink, which you will then pour into a mug or cup to start enjoying the brew.
The device itself doesn’t look fancy – definitely a long way from your traditional espresso machine or modern coffee makers. It’s just a pot with a movable part, if you think about it. There are no buttons or beeping sounds to work with or special instructions you need to keep in mind to make a good cup of coffee. It doesn’t require you to do anything complicated as well, making it a preferred method of making coffee for a lot of people.
French presses are also Eco friendlier. As they don’t use paper filters to keep the grounds out of your mug, you won’t have to consume loads of paper in the process. This also helps you get more flavor out of your coffee beans, as paper tends to soak up the oil from the beans, lessening the aroma and degrading the taste of your cup of joe.
The best French press coffee maker is also pretty easy to find. There are tons of variants available in the market today, giving you ample choices to choose from. As they’re fairly inexpensive and can last a long time, investing in a good one is always the right choice.
A Unique Style of Coffee Brewing
Unlike other coffee making device, the French press doesn’t really require electricity to work. It’s more like having tea as you’ll only need to steep the coffee grounds in hot water inside the French press for a few minutes. Once the steeping is done, you’ll push the plunger down so you can easily enjoy your cup o’joe.
There’s no need for you to plug anything in if you’re using a French coffee press. All you need is the kitchen tool, some good coffee beans, hot water, and maybe your choice of additional ingredients to make a solid cup of coffee that even the worst of caffeine snobs will enjoy.
The result depends largely on your coffee pressing technique and the kind of coffee beans you used. If you prefer a stronger brew, you can use darker coffee beans that are more aromatic and earthy in flavor. Steeping the grounds longer also helps get more flavour out. If you’re a fan of lighter blends, shorter steeping time and a milder coffee bean variety should be used.
A lot of coffee experts also love the French press because of the freedom it offers. While you are required to use coffee grounds, you can still have full control in how to make your cup of joe. How? Here are some things you’re at liberty to do when using the best coffee press:
- You get to decide how long your coffee grounds will be steeped in hot water. Depending on your preferred coffee strength, you can opt to steep the grounds for just a few seconds or few minutes. There are guidelines for various coffee beans, though, if you’re just starting out and want to make sure to get a good cup on your first go.
- You can experiment on the size of your coffee grounds. Very finely ground coffee beans won’t do you favors on a French press as they won’t be properly strained by the mesh, leaving you with a grainy cup of coffee. Most experts suggest that you should grind beans to the size of bread crumbs or sea salt so you can easily extract the flavor out of the beans.
- There are also lots of techniques that you can try out when brewing a coffee with a French press. You can find loads of information online and enjoy different kinds of coffee without breaking the bank.
Top 10 Best French Press
Like other kitchen tool and device for the kitchen, choosing the best French coffee press is essential. A quality one will let you enjoy great brewed coffee for years on end without worrying about degrading parts that can affect the coffee’s quality and taste overtime.
To help you find a good and high quality coffee brewing device, here’s a list of the ten best French press models in the market today.
Frieling Double Wall Stainless Steel French Press Coffee Maker
|Stainless Steel||36 Ounce|
Bodum Columbia Thermal 51-Ounce Stainless-Steel
|Stainless Steel||51 Ounce|
Secura 1500ML French Press Coffee Maker
|Stainless Steel||50 Ounce|
Bodum Chambord 4 Cup French Press Coffee Maker
SterlingPro Double Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press
|Stainless Steel||34 Ounce|
SterlingPro French Coffee Press 8 Cup
French Press Coffee & Tea Maker Complete Bundle
|German Glass||34 Ounce|
Bodum Travel French Press Coffee and Tea Mug
|Stainless Steel||15 Ounce|
GROSCHE Madrid French Press Coffee Maker
KONA French Press Coffee Tea & Espresso Maker
1. Frieling Double Wall Stainless Steel French Press Coffee Maker with Patented Dual Screen in Frustration Free Packaging, Polished, 23-Ounce
Designed to bring you the pure flavor of coffee, the Frieling Double Wall Stainless Steel French Press Coffee Maker is one of the most popular coffee presses in the market today. Why? For one, it is made by a reputable kitchen tool manufacturer. This alone can guarantee you that the product is made of high quality materials and craftsmanship.
Two, it comes with a 5-year warranty against manufacturing defects. Now that’s a great warranty for a kitchen tool that you’re meant to use on a daily basis.
However, it shouldn’t be too surprising as this French press is actually built to last. All of the parts are made with stainless steel so no parts will break or shatter easily or absorb odors that can affect the taste of your coffee. The carafe is even double walled, allowing this coffee press to retain the hot temperature of your coffee for longer and more leisurely breakfasts.
As for its performance, it’s simply exceptional. The plunger has a double filter system preventing fine grounds from getting through the filters and into your cup. However, like other French presses, 100% residue free cups aren’t guaranteed, especially if you use finely ground coffee. It lessens the amount of sediments significantly, though, which is definitely a great thing.
Pros of Frieling Double Wall Stainless Steel French Press:
- Well-made and sturdy. This stainless steel French press is made to last.
- Parts are also easily replaceable as they are easily available through the Frieling website.
- Carafe can double as an insulating pitcher on other occasions, thanks to its double walled design.
- Dishwasher-safe parts make an easy clean up. Just remember to throw away the ground before putting the device in the dishwasher, though.
- It’s large size allows you to make a few cups of coffee in one go, perfect for couples who like to enjoy coffee together or individuals who like to drink a lot of coffee.
Cons of Frieling Double Wall Stainless Steel French Press:
- Quite heavy because of its stainless steel materials.
- A bit pricier than other coffee presses.
- The plunger is designed to be snug to effectively filter the sediments but it can also be a bit of a challenge to push down.
2. Bodum Columbia Thermal 51-Ounce Stainless-Steel Coffee Press
Bodum is definitely one of the most popular French coffee press brands in the market today. Almost every first time shopper of this coffee brewing device is recommended this brand if they’re willing to invest on a good kitchen tool.If you’re serious about brewing your cups of joe with a French press, though, the Bodum Columbia is certainly an excellent choice.
What makes this kitchen tool great is that it can keep hot beverages hot for a long time, thanks to its double-wall stainless steel construction. It’s also equipped with a safety lid that will prevent the contents from spilling. The large size is also great for sharing with other coffee lovers or for having multiple cups yourself.
This Bodum coffee press also makes use of a double filter system. Its plunger is equipped with fine mesh and its spout also has a strainer so grits won’t get into your cup. This solves the common issue in coffee presses, as most people complain of not getting a clean cup because of the grounds escaping the plunger’s filter.
Pros of Bodum Columbia Thermal 51-Ounce Stainless-Steel Coffee Press:
- Superb craftsmanship as expected from a world known brand like Bodum.
- Great filtering design that allows you to enjoy a clean cup of coffee.
- Holds coffee hot for much longer than glass French presses.
- Built to last with mostly stainless steel parts.
- Dishwasher safe for fuss-free clean up.
- Its one-piece filter design won’t require you to unscrew the lid for dishwashing.
- Beautiful design. This French press will surely look nice in your kitchen counter or dining table.
- Large capacity for more coffee for you.
Cons of Bodum Columbia Thermal 51-Ounce Stainless-Steel Coffee Press:
- Plunger is made with plastic, so it can eventually break and need replacement. The plastic can also affect the taste of your coffee as it gets old.
- A bit pricey as most French presses made with stainless steel can be.
3. Secura 1500ML French Press Coffee Maker, 50-Ounce, Stainless Steel 18/10 SFP-50DSC, Extra Stainless Steel Screen
If you’re looking for a more affordable large capacity French coffee press, this Secura product is an excellent option. Made with high quality stainless steel, you don’t have to worry about shattering the carafe in every use and will surely last for a long time. The lid, plunger, and filter are also made with stainless steel, so you don’t have to worry about parts breaking easily.
What makes this product notable is its 3-layer stainless steel filter design. This design guarantees that grits and sediments will get trapped properly inside the coffee pot, giving you a clean and enjoyable cup of joe.
It’s also great in trapping the heat inside the pot with its double wall construction. This will let you enjoy more cups of hot coffee every time, even if you don’t get to finish the brew in one go. Breakfasts are also easier to enjoy with this product’s cool touch handle, so you don’t have to worry about burning your hand every time you pour a hot cup of coffee.
Pros of Secura 1500ML French Press:
- A bit more affordable than other brand models in the same size and design.
- Double wall design to help keep the hot beverage’s temperature for much longer.
- Stainless steel design will ensure that the kitchen tool won’t break easily.
- Unique three-layer filter design to ensure no residue will get out of the pot.
- Big pot size will let you make a large amount of coffee in one sitting.
- Cool touch handle makes use easier and safer.
- Clean and sleek design.
- All parts are dishwasher safe.
Cons of Secura 1500ML French Press:
- The plunger isn’t as tight fitting as other brands, so you might still end up with some fine grounds in your coffee cup.
4. Bodum Chambord 4 Cup French Press Coffee Maker, 17-Ounce, Chrome
Named after a great coffee maker in Normandy, the Bodum Chambord is a small sized contender in a lot of people’s search for the best French press. The brand learned a lot from Chambord when the former took over the latter’s plant in 1982, especially when it comes to creating some of the best coffee pressers ever.
The Chambord is among the most classic products of Bodum. It is made of glass and stainless steel, ensuring that the taste of coffee is as pure as it can get. It even won the American Culinary Institute’s award for the best French press coffeemaker in 2004, so you’re guaranteed that this kitchen tool is an exceptional one.
With a 17-ounce capacity, it will give you a good amount of great tasting coffee every morning. It’s not for sharing, though, unless you’re fine with just a few gulps of caffeine to start your day.
Pros of Bodum Chambord 4 Cup French Press:
- Award-winning culinary tool so you’re guaranteed great quality.
- Heat resistant glass beaker, ensuring your safety.
- Dishwasher safe for easier cleaning.
- Stainless steel plunger. You don’t have to worry about parts breaking down and affecting the taste of your coffee.
- Snug fitting plunger, preventing sediments and fine coffee ground from getting out of the pot.
- Durable stainless steel frame making the French coffee press
- Friendly priced.
Cons of Bodum Chambord 4 Cup French Press:
- The carafe is made of glass so there’s a chance of you shattering the product.
- It can only contain 17 ounces of liquid, so bigger households might not be able to share a single pot.
- The plunger’s rod is a bit short, so you need to serve the coffee right away to prevent over steeping.
5. SterlingPro Double Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press, 1 Liter
For some households, 51 ounces of coffee can be too much for just two people. This is why a mid-sized option is also a great choice if you’re not too big on drowning yourself in caffeine in the morning. This SterlingPro product is a top notch choice as it has the “just right” capacity of 1 liter (although it’s also available in 1.5L and 2L options).
This coffee press can also double as a temperature regulating carafe, thanks to its double wall construction. It can keep your hot drink’s high temperature for a long while, much longer than what glass presses can do. This is perfect for big capacity coffeemakers, so even if only one person is consuming the pot’s content, it won’t get cold in a jiffy.
Another plus for this SterlingPro coffeemaker is the fact that it is the first French press to have ever used a double-screening system. This will let you enjoy residue-free cups of coffee as its design is just better at filtering coffee grounds.
Pros of SterlingPro Double Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press:
- Great size for households that share a batch of freshly brewed coffee.
- Stainless steel parts ensures durability. Guaranteed no parts will shatter as everything will be solidly packed.
- Excellent filtering that guarantees grounds-free cups of coffee.
- 2 free stainless steel screens as a bonus. This ups the value of the product, and lets you have a few backup parts to extend the life of your French press.
- Great friendly price.
- Parts are dishwasher safe, freeing you from the hassle of hand washing the item.
Cons of SterlingPro Double Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press:
- The exteriors can get quite hot.
- The plunger requires some hand washing to remove grounds or tea leaves stuck in between the filters.
6. SterlingPro French Coffee Press 8 Cup (1 liter, 34 oz), Chrome
SterlingPro takes pride in being the first manufacturer to equip their French coffee press units with double screens system so grounds are better filtered and coffee made from SterlingPro products are free of residues. This is one of the most popular selling points of this classic product, as it promises sediment-free cups of joe.
As this French press is designed to be a timeless model, it has a classic look to it that can withstand time. Made of quality glass and stainless steel, you’re sure that this coffeemaker will last a long time.
Another great reason that makes this SterlingPro product one of the best French press options in the market today is its size. It can hold up to a liter or 34 oz of liquid, a good amount for sharers or solo drinkers. It’ll help you make a decent amount of coffee in one go, it’s just up to you if you’re willing to share or not.
Pros of SterlingPro French Coffee Press:
- Classic design that’s guaranteed to stay looking fresh and modern years down the line.
- Plastic-fitted lid to keep the stainless steel part from getting too hot. It also helps you handle the kitchen tool easier and safer.
- Affordable price, especially for its size.
- Durable materials. It uses heat resistant borosilicate glass and stainless steel frame to ensure quality performance and great tasting coffee.
- Double screen system to ensure effective filtering of ground coffee.
- Two extra replacement screens are shipped with the package at no extra cost. This helps extend the life of your French press as the filters are usually the first things to break down in these culinary tools.
Cons of SterlingPro French Coffee Press:
- The glass carafe can get shattered and require a replacement eventually.
- The plastic component under the lid can also breakdown over time and will need replacement as well.
7. French Press Coffee & Tea Maker Complete Bundle, 8-Cups, 34 Oz, Best Coffee Press Pot with Stainless Steel & Double German Glass
A glass French press is still considered as some of the best options despite its fragility as it ensures that your coffee’s taste and quality won’t get affected by the material. Glass and food grade stainless steel won’t degrade and get diluted in the hot water over time, so you’re guaranteed that you’ll only consume freshly brewed coffee or tea every time you use your coffee press.
However, glass is still quite fragile and breakable. So, to solve this problem, Kitchen Supreme are offering the best French press made from double German glass. This specific design makes the kitchen tool a lot more durable. It’s guaranteed not to crack from extreme temperatures, unlike other glass press pots. Being made in Germany also ups the ante and guarantees the best craftsmanship there is.
Another notable thing about this coffee press is that opting for it won’t only get you a coffee brewing device. Each order comes with useful accessories including 1 stainless steel spoon that you can use for honey, sugar, or other sweeteners and 1 coffee/tea scoop that you can use to measure the right amount of grounds or loose leaf to use with the coffee press. Also included are four filter screens, ensuring that no residue will get to your cup. You’ll also get a booklet of instructions and Barista secrets to make your drinks more delicious and special.
Pros of French Press Coffee & Tea Maker Complete Bundle:
- Great value. This product comes as a bundle, so you get more for your money.
- The double German glass material guarantees that it won’t break easily.
- Good size. This unit can make a liter of coffee or tea, so you can serve more drinks in one go.
- Effective filter system. As it uses four screens to keep grits trapped inside the pot, you won’t get any excess in your cup that can disturb your enjoyment.
- More affordable than other competing brands.
Cons of French Press Coffee & Tea Maker Complete Bundle:
- Glass material can still break if you drop it.
- The metal parts can get hot, so you need to be careful when picking it up.
8. Bodum Insulated Stainless-Steel Travel French Press Coffee and Tea Mug, 0.45-Liter, 15-Ounce, Black
Ever wished to have some great coffee pressed coffee while you’re at the office but feels like having a French coffee press at your cubicle is too much? Get a to-go coffeemaker like this Bodum travel mug. Designed to led you press coffee or tea anywhere and drink it straight out of the French press, you can now have a great tasting coffee anywhere and anytime.
Made with a vacuum sealed, double-walled stainless steel construction, this travel mug will let you brew coffee grounds and loose leaf tea wherever you are. It can also keep your beverage hot or cold for hours, allowing you to enjoy your drink more. The plunger is built in for easier pressing.
Pros of Bodum Insulated Stainless-Steel Travel French Press:
- You can have French pressed coffee or tea anywhere and anytime you feel like it. All you need is this travel mug, some hot water, and your choice of coffee grounds or loose leaf tea.
- Parts are dishwasher safe so it’s easy to clean.
- Non-slip silicone grip attached to the mug so you don’t have to worry about accidents or spills.
- Durable construction as it is primarily made of stainless steel.
- Perfect capacity for single consumption at 15 oz.
- You can take this anywhere and not worry about a thing.
- You don’t have to worry about the mug getting too hot and burning your hand as it is perfectly safe to handle.
Cons of Bodum Insulated Stainless-Steel Travel French Press:
- A bit pricey, but since it is made from quality material and is highly portable, it makes up for it.
9. GROSCHE Madrid French Press Coffee Maker, Tea Press & Coffee Press 3 cup 11.8 oz
While most of the best French press units in the market tend to have the same appearance, you can still find a few that will really wow you. Take this Kona French for example. It is stunningly designed that you won’t think twice about leaving it on display on your countertops.
Made with borosilicated glass beaker housed in a minimally designed chrome, this culinary tool definitely looks deluxe. It features clean and thin lines, giving you a full and minimally obstructed view of your brewing beverages.
Ideal for brewing coarse ground coffee, as well as loose leaf and blooming teas, this French press will surely add some charm to your kirchen.
Pros of GROSCHE Madrid French Press:
- Gorgeous and modern looking. This product is a sight to behold.
- You can turn the lid close to help trap the heat and flavour inside the pot and turn it open when you’re about to pour the coffee or tea to your mug.
- Dual filtering system ensures little to no residue will get to your mug. The first filter is found on the plunger, while the second one is right on the lid, to be positioned by the spout.
- Solidly designed plunger. It can properly trap the grounds or loose leaf under.
- Affordable price.
- Can contain up to 11.8 oz of liquid.
Cons of GROSCHE Madrid French Press:
- As it is made of glass, there’s still a chance that it will shatter and break.
- It’s also unable to retain heat for long.
10. KONA French Press Coffee Tea & Espresso Maker, Black 34oz Teapot ~ Best Present Idea For Gifts
Another affordable for your search for the best coffee press is this Kona product. It can hold up to a liter of liquid, so it’s perfect for couples and families who enjoy a nice, French pressed coffee in all hours of the day.
A notable thing about this Kona French press is that it is designed to prevent chips and cracks on the glass beaker. A thick plastic material is designed to protect the glass so you don’t have to worry too much about this kitchen tool shattering with mishandling. The plastic material also makes it comfortable to handle, as it doesn’t get heated up from the water used in the coffee or tea brewing process.
Pros of KONA French Press Coffee:
- Friendly price. It’s very affordable, especially for its big size.
- Dishwasher safe. Easy to clean and re-use.
- Sturdy and durable.
Cons of KONA French Press Coffee:
- The glass carafe can break if not carefully handled.
- The plastic components can break in a few years.
Tips in Making the Best French Press Coffee
While the best French press will help you make better cups of joe, it doesn’t mean that special brewing techniques aren’t necessarily. There are actually a few tips that you can try to make your brews more aromatic and delicious, like the following.
- Don’t use boiling water, it will scald the grounds and make the coffee bitter.
- To keep the hot temperature of coffee in a stainless steel French press, warm up the carafe before brewing coffee in it. Fill the carafe with warm to hot tap water and let it stand for a minute or two. Drain the water before putting in your coffee grounds and hot water and your coffee will stay hot for longer.
- Use the right amount of grounds every time. To get the full taste of your coffee or tea, you need to use the right amount of grounds or loose leaf for the volume you’re trying to brew. Using too little will dilute the flavour in the water, while using too much can be wasteful. The right amount is also key to get the best tasting brews you can make.
A Unique, Fuss-Free Tool for the Best Tasting Coffee
No matter what French coffee press technique you choose, a cup of French pressed coffee will always be gentler than other brewed coffees. It can also help you extract all the subtle flavors out of an excellent coffee bean, making it a popular preferred method of brewing among many coffee fanatic.
Picking the best French press is key to making the most enjoyable brews, so make sure to be discerning and only opt for the highly rated products mentioned above.